Prior to the holidays, our local retail operation offered a 30% discount (via email) on digital downloads. This offer appeals to those shopping procrastinators and anyone else that enjoys the immediate gratification of a download.
This special resulted in nearly $4,000 of found money!
Now, if one were to look at the percent who ordered they may not be particularly impressed. The nearly $4,000 came from less than 2% of those who were emailed. We had sales of almost $.10 per email sent. This is not a large number in itself, but this example serves as a reminder that everything is a numbers game. Little efforts can add up! I think everyone could agree that $4,000 was worth the effort to create this email!
One thing is certain, you will not make any incremental income without collecting email addresses or having some way to re-market to your customers. If you begin building an email database (and keep it fresh by using it to send at least periodic updates to your customers) you can reap ongoing rewards from this effort.
Keep this in mind during all of your spring shoots. Don’t miss the opportunity to make more money in the future by failing to collect emails from your customers.
You could even try a special using digital downloads this spring or summer. Here are some other ideas to get your started:
- Tax Day, Monday, April 15, 2013- Get a break!
- Cinco De Mayo, Sunday, May 5, 2013- $5 downloads on 5/5 or $5 off
- Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 12, 2013-
- Memorial Day, Monday, May 27, 2013
- Flag Day, June 14, 2013
- Father’s Day Sunday, June 16, 2013- Downloads are great for digital frames.
- First Day of Summer, Friday, June 21, 2013
- 4th of July- $4 downlaods or $4 off. Celebrate the sale!
- August – Back to School – Downloads for school projects!